disabilities to gain confidence and dignity through participation in sports, recreation and related educational programs.”
– That participation in sports, recreation and physical fitness is an integral part of the rehabilitation process. Through sports, people with disabilities gain abilities that increase self-confidence, independence and mobility. This in turn promotes an active lifestyle and social development and increases prospects for employment.
– That activities be conducted, whenever feasible, in public recreation facilities and venues, to provide maximum interaction with the general public in an integrated environment.
– That people with disabilities be recruited to fill leadership, staff and volunteer positions in the organization; to provide opportunities for personal growth and employment, as well as positive role models for other disabled participants.
– That, in most cases, people with disabilities can achieve high levels of physical fitness; which is essential to lead an active and healthy life and achieve mental well- being.
– That sports instruction should be conducted in a carefully planned educational setting utilizing trained volunteers and professionals.
– That the organization should conduct its activities in a businesslike manner, with competent governance and sound financial guidelines.
We endeavor to promote active healthy lifestyles, self-reliance and camaraderie. In creating and supporting this environment, we encourage positive attitudes and self- affirming behaviors.
Commitment to Privacy
We are committed to protecting the dignity of our participants in our dealings with the general public, media and sponsors. The program is first and foremost for the benefit of our participants and all other interests are secondary. We recognize that good media relations can help to further our cause, but we are forever mindful that the program exists for our participants and their experiences. In order to foster good relations and generate public interest in our activities, SUDS volunteers act as spokespeople and filter contact with our participants in order to ensure their privacy and dignity.
We will respect the privacy of the soldiers we serve. No personal information to include participants’ names and the nature of their injuries will be released without their express written approval. Photography (film or video) will be permitted only with the approval of SUDS officers/instructors and with the participants’ consent. We recognize that individuals who have permitted their images and stories to be released publicly may retract their release authorizations at any time and we will make our best efforts to accommodate their wishes in a timely fashion.
All program participants are veterans of the current conflict (Iraq/Afghanistan) and, with some exceptions, are active duty service members. Because of their duty status,